Sunday, October 21, 2012

[recipe] GF/SF/Wheat Free Cookies


I really love cookies.  They are one of the easiest things to make!  Especially when I can control myself enough to not eat all of the dough before they are baked. Today I am experimenting with reincorporating quinoa back into my diet, hoping it doesn't completely knock me out of keto.  I started with this Chewy Chocolate Chip recipe from Sacred Lightning as inspiration, and substituted some almond meal like from this Elana's Pantry Primal Gluten Free cookie recipe I devoured a few months ago.  So far, the raw dough is So Good! 


SF/GF/Wheat Free COOKIES 

1.5 c quinoa flour (previously toasted) 
0.75 c almond meal 
0.5 tsp baking soda 
--- 
0.5 c butter (salted is preferred) 
0.5 c coconut oil 
1.5 c baking Splenda 
--- 
1 tsp salt 
2 tsps vanilla extract 
2 eggs 

Preheat oven to 350°F and lay parchment on a cookie sheet. 

Mix flour, meal and soda in a dry bowl and set aside. 
Beat butter, oil and Splenda in mixer until fluffy. Add salt, vanilla and eggs until homogeneous. Incorporate dry ingredients a little at a time. I'm making an emphasis on adding them slowly because I always add them all at once and end up having to scrape them off the ceiling. 

Scoop 1" balls onto cookie sheet, 2" appart, and flatten. The amount of fiber in these cookies will not allow them to spread on their own, which is why the lower level looks straight out of the ice cream scooper.  Bake for ten minutes, give or take. They will not change color and look crispy due to the lack of sugar and wheat, but the outside will dry out and give a nice shell. You might want to wait for the molten core to cool down before eating, but who am I kidding.  Makes about three dozen (if you stop eating all the dough!)

In the spirit of ever improving, I plan on substituting some of the Splenda with soluble fiber to decrease the sweetness, without compromising the bulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment