Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Digging up the walkway

A couple of weeks ago, we finally took advantage of the weather not sucking and got back to fixing up the walkway.  Dave rented some tractor thing, and then the neighbor was nice enough to jump in for a bit.

The ground was pretty even with the neighbor's grass, held in with the red bricks.

Dave plowed all the way to the back yard and evened out the terrain.

Then came a lot of gravel that had been collected from last year.

I was asked to dig a trench for rain collection where the house ended, so of course I hit a 4" rusted pipe as soon as Dave left to pick up the grate from Home Depot.  Luckily it was only 1' long and the rest of it was terracotta that I was able to dig out.

We used some of the grey stones that were retaining the herb garden (now the ramp to the back yard) to retain the neighbor's yard and my staircase.  They have a lip on the back, which is why they aren't making a clean corner, but I should be able to resolve that soon if we decide to leave this permanent.

All in all, Dave only drove into the house twice.