Monday, January 28, 2019

Tall Collar Cranach pt 1

This weekend was the Region One 12th Night: Fire & Ice celebration and it was amazing!  I spent twelve hours in the kitchen with some great people, stood through court while Cas got awarded arms, and all in all had a fabulous time with all the shenanigans.  What I didn't do was wear the Cranach gown I made in six days >.>


I'd never previously made a Cranach dress (nor researched them) nor had I ever made anything with a collar, so I was very neurotic trying to get started.  I figured I could try to modify a Simplicity pattern for an Elizabethan coat/gown, but still just continued to freak myself out through Saturday.


I then decided to roll pleat my skirt Sunday until I could find knowledgeable help. Five yards of silver velvet that I found at Surplus City for $1.99/yard, minus 20% through January. Yay!


Monday I finally managed to pounce on the most wonderful Kiera (aka Baroness Seley (aaka my favorite Feathertwat)), who makes Cranach dresses in her sleep, borrow her basic bodice pattern and get it perfectly fit in a matter of hours.  


The next few days I proceeded to encase the front of the bodice and realized just how much I hate encasing.  And I managed to shove a needle into my finger, eye first, 1/4", and bleed on the fabric >:[


I decided to help myself out with the sleeves and use Elmer's fabric glue before cutting the slashes so that the fabric wouldn't fray.  After my final fitting on Wednesday, I decided to only slash the elbow and not the shoulder, but there's always a chance that might change in the future.  


The last thing I made was a "back up Brusefleck" just out of the contrast flocked satin, in case I didn't have time to bead the one I wanted to make out of black velvet.  Which of course I didn't make because I got home at 1 am and woke up at 7 Friday to get things ready and on the road.  I don't have a finished picture of the dress with the sleeves attached or of me wearing it, so I guess I'll just have to find another event to go show it off!


There is also something to be said about Landsknech and miles of linen protecting my crotch from incinerating while making grilled cheeses for 160? people for a whole hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment