Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Baaaa, motherfucker, do you speak it?

This weekend was MDSW, and it was awesome! I am roasted, toasted and burnt to a crisp (not that anybody can tell the difference between pasty #1 and pasty #2) and exhausted. I think I spent a good $300 this weekend, that I really couldn't afford. But everything was so beautiful! My stash over on Rav is updated with pictures and everything.

I got two tops by Fiber Optic Yarns in Cayenne and Cranberry that I absolutely adore! I can't wait to spin them up. The colors are so rich (and red), immediately attracting my attention. There was another booth covered in rainbows called Bullen's Wullens, where I got three 4 oz bags of merino/silk/bamboo in red, purple and blue, and they plan on sending me orange, yellow and green in the next two weeks, so that I can spin rainbows to my heart's desire. The last set of fiber I got was from Spinners Hill: assorted wool #3 in a VIOLENT green which I intend to spin alternately with black, and then ply with a black single. This will hopefully be a present to my friend Erika, who turned 21 last week (and I'll get it to her before she turns 22...).

The last bulk of my purchases was yarn from Tess Designer Yarns. The colors were very nice and rich, but someone should really punch whoever wrote up their site in the crotch. There was one impulse buy that I saw knitted up into very pink socks, so I'm going to see if I can do some color correcting and make it more red. I bought three gradient "sets" for different shawls that I hope transition nicely. Everything was so picked over that I'm dubious of the purple set... And, of course, the website sucks, so I can't verify the colors and ask for whatever I'm missing. I'm kind of pissed off that I saw their gradient stand and thought it was the Unique Sheep gradients I'd fallen in love with on line, but it wasn't :/

The non-fiber highlight of my trip was running into Jennie Breeden of The Devil's Panties. It was very geeky and cool and odd. It felt so weird being almost 30 and squeeing at someone my own age. But she was cool, and so were her friends. I had to remind myself that I don't actually know them, I've only read about them in the comics! But they were still very nice, and they put up with me. Squee!!! Another cool thing was that sunday, the chick at Spinners Hill confused me with her (apparently because I was wearing boots, too) and I got to talking to her about Jennie's Men In Kilts, With Leafblower project (a third of the way down). She was more than grateful!

3 comments:

  1. "someone should really punch whoever wrote up their site in the crotch"...hee hee hee. Nicely put.

    And nice haul. Some day I want to go to MDSW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a much more florid description in my head, but decided to keep it PG for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The last set of fiber I got was from Spinners Hill: assorted wool #3 in a VIOLENT green which I intend to spin alternately with black, and then ply with a black single. This will hopefully be a present to my friend Erika, who turned 21 last week (and I'll get it to her before she turns 22...). "

    *wibble eyes* I wuv you! Lol

    ReplyDelete