Sunday, November 2, 2014

Rocky Horror Tail Coat

Tail coats aren't normally shaped for people shaped like Dan.  Since he was playing the narrator at this year's Rocky, I got him a 1940's french tuxedo pattern.  The pattern isn't difficult, per sé, but definitely different.  It came with three small squares and a bunch of "tape measures" that correspond to chest circumferences so that the same pattern can be scaled to any size, including dolls.

You anchor the small square on to your craft paper and draw points at certain distances marked on the schematic, then connect all the points.  The pattern does not come with seam allowances or markers of any type, so it took me a bit of staring to figure out which piece was which and how they were all linked.

After transferring to the muslin, I laid out the body pieces to figure out which seams are which and lined them up.

I had to take out four inches on either side of the back instead of the minor darts it requested.

The outside was a cotton blend and the lining was a linen blend in order to have a bit of stretch and not over heat.  Herb was helping me transfer.

Most of the body together.

Of course I forgot to take good pictures once I was done.

While I was at it, I made Riff Raff some wrap around pants for his stilts.